Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Chinese People Are Ruining The Only Thing Important In My Life

Truffles.

The the most memorable meal I have ever had in my life was after my dinner shift at Felidia in NYC. It was our homemade angel hair pasta, butter sauce with shaved white truffles on top. The best possible wine pairing is a Barolo and I was the luckiest girl in the world because mine happened to be a Giacosa. I can't forget an experience like that.

A few years ago, I went truffle hunting in Piedmont with two hunters and they seemed a bit freaky. In a good way....but still freaky. They usually hunt at night so other hunters won't find out their territory. They use specially trained dogs that won't eat the truffle when they dig it out of the ground. The hunters often will speak their own language with the dogs so no one around will understand the commands. It's an amazing process to watch!

One of the truffle hunters with his dog, Diana

Now it seems that truffles are becoming scarce. With climate changes, the truffles aren't growing at the same rate considering how delicate and sensitive they are. Then IN COMES the Chinese!! Described as "cutting flour into cocaine", chinese truffles are being mixed in with the good stuff and some restaurants don't even know....Watch the video ---->>> (CBS News)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throwback to when I was on the cover of Beverage Media Magazine

Everything about this was fun! It was a highlight of my career in this business!