Sunday, April 28, 2013

Tequila: Why I Need It In My Life

With Cinco De Mayo around the corner, I have two things on my mind: Tequila and who am I going to call to pick me up from the bar when I had too much of it. Lets take care of whats most important of the two: the type of tequila I will be drinking. 

You will often see four types of tequila on our shelves, Silver (blanco), Gold (Mixto), Anejo and Resposado. Mexico was given the international right to use the word "tequila" and it is split into two categories: 100% Blue Agave, and Tequila Mixto (Mixed). "Blanco" tequila is the Blue Agave in its purest form. It is clear and typically un-aged. It can be bottled right after distillation or held in a steel tank to settle for up to four weeks. "Gold" tequila is usually a Mixto with colorants and flavorings added to it and used in bars and clubs for mixed drinks...or done as shots on a dare when you have already had too much to drink and you should have been home hours ago. "Resposado" tequila means "rested and aged". It's aged typically in American or French barrels anywhere between two and eleven months. The spirits will take on a golden hue and become a nice balance of agave and oak flavors. "Anejo" tequila can take on this name after being aged for more than one year. It becomes more of an amber color with flavors that are more smoother, richer, and complex. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throwback to when I was on the cover of Beverage Media Magazine

Everything about this was fun! It was a highlight of my career in this business!